Submitted by LaDonna Loerhke
New Salem, ND
This salad is a favorite at every gathering I take it to. The original recipe called for two to three times as much sugar and twice the amount of oil. I changed the recipe to make it my own with a natural sweetener and less oil, and I think now it’s even better. I take this salad to Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, birthdays, and potlucks, and I always bring home an empty bowl!
- 1/3 cup almond oil, high oleic sunflower oil, or olive oil
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons Lakanto Monkfruit Sweetener (Truvia natural sweetener is another option; or use regular cane sugar)
- 2 teaspoons green onions, chopped
- 1/3 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 5 cups spring mix greens
- 5 cups Romaine lettuce, torn into pieces
- 1 medium red apple, chopped
- 1 medium pear, chopped
- 1 cup pecans, toasted and chopped (I soak them for six hours and then drain and rinse before toasting in a pan on the stovetop.)
- ¼ cup dried cranberries*
Prepare the salad ingredients as the pecans are toasting. In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the oil, lemon juice, sugar, onions, salt, and poppy seeds; shake well. In a large bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. Drizzle with dressing and toss to coat. Serve immediately.
*Blueberry or cherry flavored Craisins would be a great alternative to try!